Begining Shopping List

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Begining Shopping List

Postby DeepDropFishing » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Larry,
I'm looking to start making my own trolling lures (clear head, make my own custom inserts) and am looking for a "starter kit" or shopping list to get me started. I've seen most of your videos on the subject and are great, now I just need to know what to purchase. Not looking to mass produce anything, just a hobby of sorts that I can design my own stuff and try out on the weekends. Not only the epoxy's, but also brass tubes, set up for melting the lead, and so on. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
DeepDropFishing

Re: Begining Shopping List

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

hey Deep!
The basic "ingredient" so to speak for the clear heads is actually a clear urethane. Either Alumilite Clear or Water Clear will work just fine.
For the mold I use High Strength 3, the most flexible one.
It's not totally necessary from a functional standpoint, but for totally clear heads you need to stick the mold in a pressure pot for fifteen minutes or so while it cures. this compresses all the bubbles to the point of invisibility.
I use a simple "hot pot" like the bullet and jig makers use. The coil fried in mine about 40 years ago and now I just heat it over an old coleman stove! My dad and used a vise grip, sardine tin and the basement wood stove we used to heat our house! In other words, it's pretty easy.
I get tubes online or from a hobby store. Wide variety of materials and diameters. You can make some super cool inserts with clear mixed with various colors of alumidust also.
Might add, to get the super, super smooth finish polishing with fine grit, up to 20000 is the trick.
any other questions, don't hesitate to call the toll free Alumilite number on their website!
good luck!
btw, what are you using for skirting?
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making