2oz Plug Knocker

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

2oz Plug Knocker

Postby ZombieRangler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 am

Hello
I'm wanting to make a 2oz Plug Knocker with wire screws on each end I hoping you guys/gals can point me in the right direction. I have many Do It Molds and I'm familiar with using lead the problem is I can't find a mold to purchase and it's very costly to have one made. I will attach a link to show you what I'm wanting to make. I really hope I can get the help I need.
Thanks in advance for all the info and help.
https://flic.kr/p/23PXjau
ZombieRangler

Re: 2oz Plug Knocker

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

hi Zombie
that's a really easy one. I would use the Alumilite Mold Putty and make a mold with a 3/4"-1" wall, and inch or so deeper than the knocker lead is long. I would simply use a dowel of the right diameter for the master. Round off one end if you wish like the one in your photo. drill a hole dead center in each end. Insert a wire of the same variety as used in knocker so it sticks out a couple of inches. I'd use a pop can or plastic bottle with hole in bottom to center the wire, stuff my putty in, stick in and center the master, leaving an inch thick base under it, and at least 1/4" over it. I use a small brass plate with a hole in it to keep the top pin centered if needed.
When you pour, you put a length of wire all the way thru the mold. Obviously you need to make room for the wire sticking out the mold. I put two 4" wide boards side by side between two chairs and put the wire in the crack between them. Leave enough wire on each end to allow all your bending etc.
you can either make a simple little jig to center the wire or hold it with a glove. the lead sets up pretty fast. might want to brace the mold with a couple of bricks before you pour!
sounds more complicated than it is, let me know if you have any other questions.!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ZombieRangler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks Larry I will give this a try.
ZombieRangler

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:14 am

Let me know how it works out!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby luremaker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 am

I have a mold I made several years ago from Alum., not that hard to make send me the size of the sample you have, how big around, how long.
I use stainless steel welding wire for my wraps, which is molded in it. I can make you one!
luremaker

Return to Lure Making