Tinting AlumiUV with Alumidust Compatibility?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Tinting AlumiUV with Alumidust Compatibility?

Postby PeacockChoppa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

Can a first coat of AlumiUV be mixed with Alumidust for a light pearlescent look prior to final second coat on a topwater style hard resin bait?
As a side note; I have conquered the recipe for curing pork skin for use as a jig trailer similar to what Uncle Josh used to sell in the old days(#11 frog chunk type). The process takes a few weeks and some patience, but the rewards are great. Good for Striper fisherman too that miss those pork strips. If anyone wants the instructions, let me know. I'll share it with the forum.

Thanks,
PeacockChoppa
PeacockChoppa

Re: Tinting AlumiUV with Alumidust Compatibility?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm

hi pc
I've done it with regular epoxy but not uv. I will give it a try and let you know. I'm with you 110% on the pork. My favorite was one called Hawg Hair, it still had hair on it and was cut in better shapes IMO than the Uncle Josh. I for one would love to hear your recipe!
thanks for the post,
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Tinting AlumiUV with Alumidust Compatibility?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 am

I gave the pearl alumidust mixed with UV cure and it cured just fine. The pearl yields a pearly, somewhat milky finish. The second coat of clear UV didn't change the look as far as I could tell. The results depend a little on what color is underneath it.
Personally, I prefer the results I get when dusting the mold rather than mixing the pearl with the clear coat.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making