Lure Build Plan

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lure Build Plan

Postby Tarponchaser305 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Larry,

Thank you so much for all of your help and assistance!

I am planning on building a few twitchbait type lures for Tarpon and Snook ( Mirrolures and Bagley Mullet style). I intend to do this as follows:

1- Make a two part mold using synthetic clay and high strength #2 (
2- Construct a through wire system line hanger, belly hook, tail hook. As I am wanting this bait to sink I will be using weights on the wire. I will use Black RC3 to cast the lure
3- I will then seal the lure with Alumi UV

a couple of questions are:
1- As I am interested in this being a sinking bait would you recommend that I add microballoons?
2- When weighting the through wire would suggest that I add the weight forward,aft or both of the belly hook?
3- What are your thoughts on the inline single hooks made by VMC and Owner versus traditional trebles?

Any and all assistance woudl be greatly appreciated.
3-
Tarponchaser305

Re: Lure Build Plan

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:53 am

The decision to use microballoons depends partly on how fast you want the lure to sink, or not. also how much stability is required. By that I mean a floating body that's weighted with lead in the belly so it sinks or is neutral will be more stable than a body that's of uniform material with the same sink rate or buoyancy.
As far as where to put the weight depends on what you want the lure to do. Lots depends on shape, but as a rule given no dominant leading control surface, weight to the rear and you will get a side to side. weight to the front more of an up and down.
also, specific gravity of the lure approaches neutral (1.00) it will glide. If it's too light it may actually bob backwards after you give it a jerk and then slack.
good luck with your project! my version of what you're looking for is the small subsurface wideglide. Regarding hooks, i've had the best success with really stiff treble hooks like the ones river2sea makes, also owner.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:35 am

I forgot one other thing. If you use black it will be more difficult to paint than if you used white superplastic.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tarponchaser305 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Larry,

Thank you so much!

Where can i get the smaller size wide glide in suspending model? Man that looks like a tarpon killer
Tarponchaser305

Return to Lure Making