Whiggley 4x hooks

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Whiggley 4x hooks

Postby Caja » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 am

Larry Or Mike my homemade whiggley 7" and 5" swim great with medium to fast retrieves but the weight of 4x or 2x treble hook seems to kill to random slide glide on the pause and some want to always glide to one side on the pause or sink straight down. I have rigged a couple and they worked great, pause one time it glides left or right with lighter wire hooks. Every one takes a few casts and tinkering to get close to what I watched Larry or Mike achieve with there version of whiggley. I have some bullet weight molds and was thinking about pouring small Foam bullet weights for whiggley head inserts for flotation for heavier hooks. Some bass swimbaits like Huddleston have foam insert on jig style hook to control ROF 0 thru 12. Lure making is a working progress as Larry would say.
Caja

Re: Whiggley 4x hooks

Postby dahlberg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Good question. The side to side has lots to do with balance, ie getting the center of gravity so it sinks horizontally, as well as buoyancy. the foam insert will work, and should help with both. I pour the skeleton interior head out of alumifoam and use an aluminum tube and it works well. Let us know how it works out in ongoing permutations!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making