best plastic on the market for pouring

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

best plastic on the market for pouring

Postby bassfanatic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

hi there again just wanted to ask the question who do you think is the best plastic supplier for lures being buying mine in the uk but id love the plastic that the albie snax are made from as they last forever
bassfanatic

Re: best plastic on the market for pouring

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Hard to say for sure, but I find that Alumilite makes the best I have used.

Alumilite White seems really durable and I have never had a lure from it "wear out". Alumifoam is super durable and seems almost impossible for fish to damage.

Still, I do not pretend to have used plastic from all around the world. Could not afford to test them all, have no need to go beyond the Alumilite products I am using now.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm

ALUMILITE!!!!!
bassfighter1

Postby bassfanatic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am

tks for the info guysmuch appreciated im new to making my own injection moulds and having problems that ive never encountered using hand pour methods ,one is dents in thelures which i think ive nearly sorted but i also have slight bending in my lures when left in a bag even though i left lures to cure for 24hrs any ideas
bassfanatic

Postby bassfanatic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 am

was looking at the aluminite products as i make lots of worms and flexible jerk baits im assuming every one is talking about aluminsol ,as the other products dont looking like for injecting also it only comes in soft pity no medium or hard
bassfanatic

Postby dahlberg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 am

We opt to go with one base hardness then add hardeners and softeners to it as needed. That way with only three bottles I can literally achieve any hardness or softness plastisol possible with the material rather than a soft, medium and hard. Harder hard, softer soft if needed.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 am

The indents in your lure are coming from the severe shrinkage of the material.

With Alumisol ... Larry is right ... Alumisol is a medium hardness and when used with the softener or hardener ... you can dial in the exact hardness of any soft plastic to any hardness or feel you desire. So instead of having only 3 points on a hardness scale, with our products you can achieve any point you feel is best for your lure. We are currently working on a video to demonstrate the advantage of this as well as the effect it has on popular lure designs.

To counter the indents in your lure, create a bigger reservoir in your mold to hold a bigger mass of soft plastic in which the material will stay liquid longer. The idea is to make sure the soft plastic in the mold cools before the soft plastic in the reservoir. This will allow the soft plastic to shrink out of the reservoir and not out of your lure (soft plastic that is in the mold).

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making