Making a void or air pocket in a lure for more floatation?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Making a void or air pocket in a lure for more floatation?

Postby martin79 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm

How's it goin? Have any of you guys tried making a void of some kind or air pocket or bubble in a lure. I'm making topwater lures with alumafoam right now, floats perfect but a lot of work filling the holes so the the paint doesn't bubble in high heat. If I could make a void I could just you'd the hardbait resin an man would that be easy to paint. With my bait the hard resin mixed with max amount of micro balloons still doesn't float enough. Anybody Tried any kind of air pocket ?
martin79

Re: Making a void or air pocket in a lure for more floatatio

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 am

Yes, I do mold some with a void.

If you needed 25 ml of resign to "fill" the mold, you could mix up 15 ml and when you pour into the mold you then rotate and turn the mold for 6 or 7 minutes until it sets up. I normally wait about 3 or 4 minutes before I pour then I don't have to rotate or turn the mold as long.

Because you "rotomolded" the item, you have a void left in the center of the item. In the example above, you would have a 10 ml void.

I do this on one of my lures but I use a fraction of the Alumilite White it would take, then I fill the core with 610 Alumilite Superfoam. It leaves me with a great surface, a great floater, but a couple of sprues to fill and seal (pour hole and expansion hole).

:idea: Now, back to the Alumifoam. Mix it up and quickly pour it into the mold, very quickly. Then rotate and turn the mold like I explained above. When it fires off you get a perfect skin, no holes to fill, no bubble in high heat.

Have fun and let us know how it works for you.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Making a void or air pocket in a lure for more floatatio

Postby martin79 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Awesome thanks I'm trying that tmrw. Appreciate it.
martin79

Return to Lure Making