Tungsten powder

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Tungsten powder

Postby mrichardson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 am

Hi, can you someone provide some information on the maximum recommended mix ratio for adding your tungsten powder to alumilite white?

Thanks
mrichardson

Re: Tungsten powder

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:58 am

I usually put my tungsten in a small container and add the goop while stirring until I get a slurry I can pour. An object created from tungsten powder bonded by urethane will be larger than one made from lead.
Too thick a mixture and you will loose impact strength. Molasses thickness is about as thick as i'd recommend.
what are you making?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mrichardson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm making a dive-n-rise musky jerkbait. My plan is to do it in a two pour process. First pour will be tungsten filled alumilite white to fill the lower lip and belly area, the second pour will be urethane foam. The idea is a stronger urethane for weight and to protect the nose from rocks, and then a foam urethane filled in after. It will be thru wire in an aluminum mold. Thanks for the reply. So would equal parts resin and tungsten be OK?
mrichardson

Postby dahlberg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Equal parts would be a good place to start. Your premise is a good one. Distributing the weight with the two materials will result in a very stable lure. good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making