Old Alumisol

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Old Alumisol

Postby Cal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:40 am

After a hiatus from gooping due to my health, I finally got back on my workbench. Much to my consternation, I discovered that my gallon jug of Alumisol had separated. Some brisk shaking mixed everything back together, but I discovered that, when it heated, it became dark brown and burned and became utterly useless.

Will Heat Stabilizer solve the problem? If so, how much should I apply per 4 ounces of Alumisol?
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Re: Old Alumisol

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Call Mike at Alumilite and ask.

But, I would do more then just shake it. Several years ago before I learned about Alumilite, when I had access to a Home Depot that was willing to turn their heads, I took a another brand and put it on their paint shaker for a couple of cycles and it took that much to get it mixed.

It might be possible that you got the particles to start breaking apart but that the mixing is not yet complete. Maybe take the lid off and slip a bent coat hanger in and use a power drill and give it one heck of a good stirring. :idea:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 am

Good ideas Anglin.

When Alumisol easily scorches ... it means you have a higher percentage of vinyl (white powdery stuff that is what actually reacts and makes it harden upon cooling) in the material that normal. So a couple possibilities ... first ... when you originally used it, if you did not shake it ... its possible that the material was slightly softer than it should have been (meaning you had less vinyl in the material than intended making what is left have a higher concentration of vinyl). Secondly, perhaps as Anglin suggested ... IF the vinyl was clumped or congregated together, it would react faster and scorch more easily.

Heat stabilizer would help however I would also add 10% Softener to try to dilute the excess vinyl and get it back to a more workable solution.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Cal » Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 pm

I followed everyone's advice. After repeated failures, I'm going to punt and get a fresh jug.

I have to make an order, anyway.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby Caja » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:27 am

I have some older alumisol it doesn't burn, it is super soft after curing. Too soft to hold center pin in during cast. Adding Hardner seemed to work on couple batches. How much Hardner should I add to One cup 8oz batches.
Caja

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Caja wrote:
> I have some older alumisol it doesn't burn, it is super soft after curing.
> Too soft to hold center pin in during cast. Adding Hardner seemed to work
> on couple batches. How much Hardner should I add to One cup 8oz batches.

I am positive that the PVC has settled out some on yours. You need to really do a great mixing first before you add Hardener. My regular stuff holds a center pin very well, and does not burn......so I am pretty sure that it is settled and you are getting the extra soft off the top.

It would be tough to guess on the hardener until you get the stuff mixed up again.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making