First time lure maker. A few questions (squid jig)

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

First time lure maker. A few questions (squid jig)

Postby sodabiscuit12345 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Hello guys,

I want to make jigs like the ones I attached.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByLyV ... VcxaHhFLTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByLyV ... Xg3R1BjeXc

I know that this may seem very simple to many of you, but I have NEVER dealt with mold making, or even mixing epoxy or anything like that in the past.

If you look at the jig, it has a wire going through it. Also has multiple hooks at the bottom. I do not need to cast these.

All i really need is to cast the BODY, not the wire, not the hooks.

Now here are my few questions:

1) What product can I use to cast this mold? I have seen a youtube video of Larry using RTV silicone. I liked that it was malleable. I figured I could poor my plastic/epoxy inside the mold and work it out?

2) If I chose to use a hard mold to have it for a longer period of time, what would I use then?

3)What kind of clear/see-through plastic/epoxy can I use to make this type of jig? I was thinking the kind of epoxy you would poor on top of a bar to keep it waterproof, but do you have a clear plastic that would work better?

I thinks that's it...

Any info would be really appreciated!
sodabiscuit12345

Re: First time lure maker. A few questions (squid jig)

Postby dahlberg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:44 am

I would suggest using High Strength 3 rtv for the mold and clear alumilite urethane for the rest. should be quite simple to do. I would suggest a one piece mold and poured so the pointed side is down and leave the bottom open to pour resin into. The shape is smooth with no undercuts so it should slide out of the flexible high strength 3. Also suggest you insert a thin tube, like a drink straw so you will have a hole to insert your hardware into.
good luck, if you have more questions don't be afraid to ask!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby sodabiscuit12345 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Ok great. I just found the products and will be ordering now.

I have 2 last questions:

1) What product would you suggest if I wanted to color the clear plastic? I am looking for pink/green/yellow/blue.

2) I would like to also make the jigs glow if possible. Do you have a suggestion for a glow powder or dye?

thanks
sodabiscuit12345

Postby dahlberg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 am

both the dyes and glow powder are available on the makelure site. Check out the "pen turning" tutorials on the alumilite site and elsewhere on the web. the materials and techniques used with the clear urethanes are pretty much the same as what you are doing. You will be amazed at the variety and beauty of the finishes and colors.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:11 am

(answered this same question on Alumilite's forum so I thought I'd simply post my response here to add to the conversation)

Is the opaque colored head lead or is it plastic as well? I'm assuming lead.

Are you only trying to pour the clear body with the tube through it or the head as well? We can help with both but just trying to figure that part out.

The body is fairly simple ... you will disassemble one or take your master if you have created your own and glue the flat part down so the cone shape is pointing straight up in the air. Then take a tube ... the same diameter as the hole and stick it in the cone so it is sticking up above the tip of the cone an inch. The tube will be an insert in your mold that you will pour the clear resin around. Then when the resin cures, you pull the tube out and your hole through the middle will already be in your cast resin piece ... no drilling required. You will want to mold release it but that is all.

You can find the tubing at almost any local hobby store where they typically have a rack with different sized diameter tubing and wire. It will cost you a couple dollars but can then cut it into many pieces for multiple molds.

Back to the mold ... your tubing is sticking straight up out of your cone. Glue to the cone to a mold base and make a box around it. I would use a cross section piece of conduit or pvc pipe or perhaps a plastic container like a recycled yogurt container that is approximately 3/8-1/2" around the lure. Seal the bottom with hot melt or clay so the rubber doesn't leak out and pour the mold using High Strength 2. Pour it all the way to the top of the tube approximately 1" above the tip of the cone. Allow the silicone to cure and you are ready to start casting.

I'd recommend the Amazing Clear Cast for your resin of choice to cast clear lures. If you are looking for opaque, use Alumilite's RC-3 (Alumires) as it cures much more quickly ... less than 10 minutes.

The very first video on our fishing How To page is a great video showing Waylan Miller making lures using the Amazing Clear Cast but in a 2 piece mold. www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Vid ... rettyPhoto

If you still have questions ... please let us know.

thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby sodabiscuit12345 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for the fantastic replies, guys.

I ordered the clear cast and the RTV strength 3. My question now is:

Do I need a mold release spray for this combination?

Perhaps I should have ordered that as well.

Thanks
sodabiscuit12345

Postby dahlberg » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:19 am

with the hs3 your mold will be flexible enough to stretch and just pop out our piece, thus enabling a one piece mold. If you were to make a two piece mold you would most certainly need to mold release the RTV rubber before pouring the second half of the mold. When pouring the resins into RTV molds you will not need the mold release.
If/when you insert a pin for your center hole portion I suggest you mold release it. You can use Vaseline, wax or similar.
I envision your final piece as having a recess in the bottom to accommodate the lead and a hole running thru it for the wire.
I am assuming the lead, wire and hook are a one piece unit you've assembled previous to the body.
I'd pour my piece while having a thin plastic straw inserted in the mold. The straw would have a piece on it that would take up the space where the lead insert goes. That way when you pour the liquid will form around the straw and the piece on it leaving space to epoxy hook assembly. You could also simply insert your assembly after pouring your mold, letting the excess spill out and no gluing needed, especially if the lead is a little rough and the resin can get in the base of the hooks.
good luck with your project!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making