Mr. Wiggley Mixture

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Mr. Wiggley Mixture

Postby FishermanTom81 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 pm

I have been having a tough time getting my whiggley to wiggle. I have been doing the tail with a 20-25% mix and a head with some hardener. It seems like if I were to go with more than 25% softener the bait would fall apart. Does anyone have any suggestions on a softener mix?

Thanks
Tom
FishermanTom81

Re: Mr. Wiggley Mixture

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 am

I usually run my whiggley design with heads using straight Alumisol (no hardener) and my tails I run super soft ... 65% Alumisol, 35% softener. Yes, it takes a long time for them to cure and are super soft. Do they swim like crazy ... yes. Do I care if they get torn up? No ... I simply pour more.

My suggestion would be to try 3 with the exact same head (using hardener or however you do them now) and only change the tail makeup ... 70/30 ... and 65/35 ... and compare those to your 75/25. Once you get to 60/40 ... you will have a tough time even curing/demolding it.

Remember ... every whiggley design is different as well. I have a much bigger profile body than Larry's straighter body. Figuring out hardness of the head and tail is only one factor. The control surfaces and connection point will have huge implications as well.

Please keep us posted.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making