Molding a Headlock style bait

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Molding a Headlock style bait

Postby FishermanTom81 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I want to try to mold a headlock style bait. What is the best way to attach the hooks? Should I mold in screw eyes? Through wire? Or drill a hole add epoxy, then screw in the eye? Secondly if I add enough microbaloons to the bait to give it the specific gravity of cedar will that weaken the plastic too much for such a large lure?

Thanks
Tom
FishermanTom81

Re: Molding a Headlock style bait

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:51 am

Personally, I like a wire through as it is cleaner and I don't have to anything to it when it comes out of the mold. Less touches, less work, less time to make. BUT if you have not dialed in the exact placement of where the hook eyes need to be placed, I'd recommend screwing them in to dial in the weight and balance of the lure. You can also set the hook eyes in your mold and cast them in. Lots of options.

Microballoons will start to have a greater impact on the physical properties of the resin when you exceed 100% by volume. People use the microballoons up to 100% by volume without any issue of strength or failures. Wire through designs can also help to reinforce the lure when extreme durability is required.

MIke
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making