Alumalite Flo Dye

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumalite Flo Dye

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Wed May 04, 2016 11:19 am

I am having trouble with the fluorescent alumalite dye when adding it to heated alumisol. When I add the dye it wont spread out to the alumisol, it kind of stays in little specs and doesn't turn the alumisol the color I put in. I have tried the flo orange, yellow, and red, all with the same results. Maybe I got some old product or something or am adding the dye wrong? the yellow dye in particular comes out really thick, the first time it came out like grease and not liquid. Has anyone else had problems like this before?

Thanks, J
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Re: Alumalite Flo Dye

Postby dahlberg » Thu May 05, 2016 9:31 am

not sure on that one. I would stir it really well, maybe run hot water over the bottle and try it again. maybe the Goop King has suggestions?
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu May 05, 2016 12:54 pm

The flo dyes are actually dye/pigment whereas they have TiO2 in it to make the colors brighter. Sometimes that filler will hard back or settle out. As Larry mentioned, warming it may help. Most of the time it should color effectively however you may see some sentiment in the bottom of your Pyrex or melting pot. Making sure your Alumisol is good and hot will help it blend in as well. Stir it in well, then reheat a little to break the bubbles you introduced in.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Thu May 05, 2016 3:30 pm

I will try your suggestions and see if that helps, thanks for the feedback
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Return to Lure Making