Making molds for lead casting

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Making molds for lead casting

Postby junkmansj » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Does anyone know a way to cast a mold for duplicating a lead sinker / weight?
Short of having Alum molds made, too much $$$$$$$
junkmansj

Re: Making molds for lead casting

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 am

I use alumilites mold putty for that purpose, and depending on how large or small the object is i am trying to make it comes out pretty well.
Anything smaller than 1/8 on a jig head can be tricky because the lead can cool too fast, but otherwise it's really pretty easy.
Sounds like a good subject for a short tutorial on the Makelure site. Thanks for the suggestion.
For a pencil lead shape or pyramid a simple open top mold is both fast and easy. More complicated shapes to remove from the mold might require a two piece construction.
THe cool thing is that the mold putty is ready to pour lead in about 15 minutes after you've shaped it. In fact I made one on Saturday while doing a lure building class in sweden!
If you check out the how to make a double wubble tutorial on the Makelure website it will show you the basic steps.
best L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Making molds for lead casting

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:00 am

I have been using plat 55 and have made jig hooks up to 6oz. just do a simple 2 part mold with indicators. Works great.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making