Adding Glitter to Swimbaits

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Adding Glitter to Swimbaits

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Has anyone attempted to add glitter to their alumisol when making lures? I have been trying to do so and cant get the glitter to suspend in the alumisol, it wants to settle to the bottom of what ever I'm making, I have tried large and small sized glitter. Any suggestions would be helpful.
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Re: Adding Glitter to Swimbaits

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 am

Not sure what to tell you since I've not ever had the problem.. usually the issue is choosing a glitter that will not melt or degrade in the hot plastic.
Just a good stir and pour usually comes out great. you may have to simply find a lighter weight glitter.
I'm curious if anyone else out there has had the problem.? Maybe they will chime in.
good luck, L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:22 am

I've found that coarse glitter suspends better than the really fine stuff. I'll mix the fine glitter with alumidust when painting a mold for a plug.

I've also mixed the glitter with clear alumisol and dipped my finished lures for a slicker look. Like you once said, Larry, the trick is to experiment until you find what works.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 am

Thank you for the input everyone, It seems like I can get it to suspend when stirring the alumisol but when I stop or when I pour it, it just settles to the bottom and maybe a few end up suspending. I have tired the courser glitter which seems to work a little better then the fine stuff. How much glitter are you guys adding? I have tried small amounts, but doesn't seem to come out the way I am hoping, but with the larger amounts I have used, that's when it really wants to settle to the bottom. do you wait until the alumisol cools a little bit so its not so thin before adding the glitter? I have been adding it right after I get it hot.

Thanks, J
ToothyCritterHunter

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:50 am

I would try to find a lighter weight glitter as Larry mentioned. I believe the weight is the issue. Typically, glitter suspends and will not fall out that fast.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Sounds good I will see what I can find. If anyone has had luck with a specific brand of glitter please share.
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Return to Lure Making