Mr Whiggley - Critique my design

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Mr Whiggley - Critique my design

Postby mwh624 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello,
I'm looking to make my own Mr. Whiggley lure. I'm not very artistic so I am going to have my master 3D printed. Before I do though, I thought I'd seek some advice. One thing I'm not quite sure on is how thick to make the lure, especially the tail section. I'm hoping to get a lure with a good swimming motion at slow/moderate speeds. The link shows a drawing of the top and side profiles of my current design. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... jv0yix.jpg
mwh624

Re: Mr Whiggley - Critique my design

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:42 am

Looks to me like it should be pretty slinky.
be sure to let us know how it works out!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:04 pm

mwh624,

I was wondering what program you are using for you CAD drawings, is it a 3D one? Did you buy it or are you using one at work or something? Same with the 3D printer do you have one at work you can use or something. I went to school for engineering so I am pretty good with 3D CAD programs but I have not been able to find an affordable program to purchase, same with the 3D printer. I would love to be able to 3D print some masters for fishing lures but just don't want to break the bank doing it. Your whiggley looks pretty solid too, I just made my first one about a month ago, it took a little tweaking with the percentage of softener but I finally got it to swim pretty well. I ended up going with about a 1:2 mix of softener to alumisol, so its petty soft but any less and it wouldn't really swim the best. I think on my next whig I am going to make the body about the same thickness pretty much the whole length and then taper the tail down a little bit more, besides the head which will be thicker, You might want to do the same instead of the gradual taper like in your drawing (which is what I did on my first whig). I will post some pictures of the dimensions of my whig after work today. Yours might be alright because it is longer then mine, Which is 7.5", but I thought I would just throw that out there, maybe Larry has another opinion.

Larry,

Do you know if mike has a 3D printer and programing like he showed in his 3D printing whiggley video, if so, do you think he would maybe be able to print a 3D master for someone who is willing to pay him to do so?
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Postby mwh624 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:29 pm

I drew my design in Solidworks, which I am lucky to have access to due to my line of work. Probably not an economical option for the hobby lure builder. You might look at Google Sketchup. I don't have a lot of experience with it but I know people draw up some pretty impressive things. Also, OnShape is an online based 3D modeler that is similar to SolidWorks. It's not quite as powerful but I think for designing lures is would suffice.

For 3D printing, I used 3Dhubs to find a local printer at a reasonable price. I've also heard good things about Shapeways
mwh624

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:33 pm

ToothyCritterHunter

Postby Caja » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Hook slot from nose to gill plate. Sometimes on my homemade whiggly the hook slide off center and affects the action. Also design hook slot for weedless swim-bait version.
Caja

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 am

Caja,

do you have any pictures of a weed less whiggley? I have been thinking about that for a little bit. I think I might just hook the Whig normally but build a weed less treble hook, epoxy on or tie on some stiffer fibers, like the ones on a bass jig, but for the two hooks that aren't in the whiggley. Maybe also solder in some thinner wire instead of the fibers. I wonder if anyone else has tried to make a weed less Whig, with any success?
ToothyCritterHunter

Postby lifeisfun » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Weedless MrWhiggley would be a killer!
Anyone has ideas?
lifeisfun

Return to Lure Making