SILICONE SOFT PLASTICS

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

SILICONE SOFT PLASTICS

Postby Caja » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Read article about New SILICONE made swimbaits. Appears to be more durable, slower fall rate with more durable realistic paint. Would Alumilite type 3 mold material work for casting material with alumidust or dye to paint. Trying to figure out how to clear coat. Any thoughts thanks
Caja

Re: SILICONE SOFT PLASTICS

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:22 am

Yes, it would. Best way to paint ... really only way I know to paint ... is to thin down some clear silicone caulk with solvent, add your paint/dye to the slurry and then brush/paint the thinned down colored caulk onto your bait. When solvent flashes off and the moisture cures the caulk, you will be left with your painted High Strength 3 silicone swimbait.

It is possible for us to make a clear catalyst for the High Strength 3 so the cured High Strength 3 would be white rather than pink. The downside is, it is difficult to tell when you have the catalyst fully mixed in as there is no color change when you add the clear catalyst so you need to make sure to mix extremely well. If you want to make the High Strength even softer ... simply add 10% silicone oil (found on our website https://www.makelure.com/store/p/961-Si ... l-1lb.aspx ), and this will lower the hardness from 10A to approximately 7-8A.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Caja » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks
I have some left over Alumilite high strength 3 and if I mix up too much hs3 while making molds. I did not see mineral spirits on web site for shrinking SILICONE.
Caja

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:15 pm

Mineral spirits are a solvent. We don't sell and would not want to ship a solvent. However you can normally find them at your local hardware store ... Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc ... typically in the paint department area near the paint thinner.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making