Tooth proof bucktail?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Tooth proof bucktail?

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:43 pm

This is more of a fly and jig question: Is there an alternative to bucktail that works well with clouser minnows and is relatively tooth proof? I love my clousers, but they get shredded pretty quickly in salt water. Thanks!
Questor

Re: Tooth proof bucktail?

Postby CheCT » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:41 am

A cheap synthetic alternative would be kankelon.
You can get a gigantic hank of it for like 3 or 4 bucks.
It held up well with muskie so should do pretty good in saltwater.
CheCT

Postby dahlberg » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:58 am

Hi Q,
Your question is a good one, and not as simple as it may seem. Bucktail hair comes in different thicknesses, or in fiber language, "deniers". And, like body hair it flairs when you tie it, is slightly hollow, is thinner at the tips than at the base, plus will float.
Most synthetic fibers lack most of these qualities!
My feeling is that the "best" fiber for a fly when replacing bucktail on a streamer type or "dynamic" fly depends on how large the fly is.
THe smaller the fly, the finer the denier. You might also try mixing a number of different fibers and trimming the wing so it tapers to the back rather than ends up "square".
The list of synthetics is so long nowadays it's hard to say where to start, but diameter (denier) and relative stiffness are the main factors.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:38 am

Mr. Dahlberg,

Thanks for the tip. The denier key word really helped. I went to Fly Angler yesterday and bought a selection of synthetics. I tied some deceivers and clousers with super hair, and they seem promising. I also tried a twisted yard variant of super hair, which I thought was worth trying. The Super Hair looks thicker than EP Fiber, which I'll also try. The deceivers seem to require the same pre-wetting prior to the first cast, and have about the same sink rate as a deceiver tied with natural materials.

Bottom line is that I've got a couple of patterns that I hope to transition from natural fiber to synthetic with the idea of getting more durable flies.

I also tried the ZAP cyanoacrylate gel glue as a fly head cement. I definitely prefer the Gorilla brand of gel cyanoacrylate glue, by far, because it is thinner and gives good but not excessive working time.

Another thing is that I like this stuff for the top and bottom collars on a deceiver. It's like EP fiber with fine pearl flashabou in it. Nice to work with too.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-me ... lash-pearl

Next step is to go out and put em in harm's way and see how they perform with actual fish teeth.
Questor

Return to Lure Making