Copic Freshwater Color Recomendations

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Copic Freshwater Color Recomendations

Postby Wahoo61 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi Larry. Looking for recommendations on Copic colors, and specifically the colors you are using. I am painting top water lures. Fishing for Wipers/Whites. The colors I want to use are: Chartreuse, Orange, Red, Bone, white, Black, Blue, Olive Green, Silver (and any others you might suggest). Given that they are pretty pricey I thought maybe you could point me in the right direction before I order. They don't have a good selection in the stores around me so I can't store test. For example, I don't see a good Chartreuse and wondered if you had to blend two colors to get it where you want it. As always, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!!!!!! You provide a wonderful service to the fishing community!! Lee.
Wahoo61

Re: Copic Freshwater Color Recomendations

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:19 pm

since they are transparent ink, white, silver or any metallic is not an option. If i want those colors I usually use alumidust in my mold or will leave the original white.
The flourescents are all pretty good bright and I use all of them. The chrome orange is very vivid and useful. The best yellow is Acid yellow. The burnt umber is great. some of the grey shades in the number 4 category are good for scales if shot thru mesh and applied over a white background. best red is vermillion. There are several gorgeous blues and greens. The olive is a good medium green.
hope this helps. I've been using the system for a couple of years and am still learning about the subtle color variations that can be achieved.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wahoo61 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 am

As always, thanks for taking the time to respond! When you said category 4 grays, what did you mean? Thanks again. Lee.
Wahoo61

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:13 am

they have a color "intensitiy" based on ascending numbers. the 4 is kind of the midpoint between light and dark.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:38 am

when i get home I'll take a look at the colors I use.
I can tell you off the bat, I second Larry's recommendation of the metallic orange and acid yellow colors. They're incredible especially for perch and bluegill patterns. I wish they made a blue with a similar finish.

I use the chartreuse quite a bit as well!

The straight black is a must!
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making