whopper plopper tail

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

whopper plopper tail

Postby ajohn33 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:03 pm

I recently built my own plopper. Stored it in a packed tight tackle box. Opened it a month later tail was broken. Is it a matter of design originally of your design with a big floppy tail. Is it do to design flaw or simply compressed to long. Any advice welcomed. Thx ajohn33. Ps it worked well.
ajohn33

Re: whopper plopper tail

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 am

Couple thoughts ... couple questions:

Was the tail kind of crumbly or look like it was porous where it tore? If it had too much air entrapped into it, yes ... maybe ... it could have torn from being held in a crimped position. If it was completely dense (no air bubbles or porosity in it), it should not have torn like that. The material is practically indestructible once mixed and fully cured. Wondering if someone we introduced or trapped some air into while mixing that caused some problems.

Was it only one tail that gave you problems. I'm assuming you made more than 1. Was there anything different about that one?

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: whopper plopper tail

Postby ajohn33 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Thx.,your right, due to over packing my tackle box tail got crimped and was bubbly. Made a second and a third. No bubbles came out perfect. Thx.
ajohn33

Return to Lure Making