3D Printing Video

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

3D Printing Video

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 pm

(accidently posted this to the General rather than the Lure Making forum so I've copied the original post here in its intended location)

Put a short video up on how to reverse engineer a lure mold ... small 5-6" weighted whiggley ... by utilizing engineering software and 3D printing. This process is great for making perfectly symmetrical sides/shapes as well as going into full blown production tooling options.

Video is located at the top of the following page:
http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx

Another note ... this is actually a downsized version of a bigger muskie size lure (11") that I've been making. Once you have your lure designed in SolidWorks or whatever engineering software you prefer, scaling the size is extremely easy and can be accomplished with a few quick key strokes to make different size lures. I will try to post a pic on makelure's gallery tomorrow of the two sizes.

Hope you enjoy.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: 3D Printing Video

Postby Caja » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:51 pm

What is the cost of 3d printer and software that you would recommend using?
Caja

Re: 3D Printing Video

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:34 am

I wouldn't recommend buying a 3D printer unless you have a significant number of SLAs to print. You also get what you pay for. $2,000 might get you into one on the very bottom end however the quality and time to try to get something even remotely satisfactory is not good. On the other hand you have printers well over $250,000 that make perfectly printed parts with practically no layers, phenomenal detail, and perfect replication of your design. Then you need to source a compatible resin that works flawlessly in the machine you purchase.

What I would recommend is to find a local printer that can print them for you that has all of the learning curve already worked out. A great place to look is your local university. Many engineering, design, and architectural schools have them now and love to work on "real life projects" that companies and individuals bring to the school. They are typically very reasonable and more economic than print houses as they too benefit from having the projects. Or you can simply look on line and there are many people that you simply send your file to and they will email you a quote and estimated delivery. Costs for the type of prints we did in this video may range from $60-$200 depending on the source and quality of the print. I would highly recommend seeing a sample of the proposed material/print before purchasing so you know what quality to expect from your print prior to purchasing. That is why finding a local source where you can visit, talk to, and feel actual samples is always my first choice ... not to mention supporting local businesses.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making