Silicone mold release

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Silicone mold release

Postby dav » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:26 pm

I am in a hurry to finish making a two piece mold and I am out of the rubber to rubber release is there anything else I could use other than Vaseline?
dav

Re: Silicone mold release

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 am

Butch wax, lip balm, K-Y jelly. Just curious why you don't want to use Vaseline?
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dav » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry for late reply Larry, I need something liquid to pour into a silicone mold so I can make a silicone mother mold then I can make multiple production molds. I would like to use vac50 for the production molds but I will have to use a soft master or mother mold because of the fins and undercuts. I was told a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and dish liquid (dawn) 2:1 would work but I am worried I will destroy the original mold.
dav

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:57 am

An extremely thin layer of Vaseline should work fine. Probably the safest to ensure no damage to your original mold.

If you are going to try something new ... make sure to test it first ... even if it means pouring a splotch of new rubber into an old mix cup ... just make sure whatever you make up is tested before using on your mold.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:09 am

That's a touchy one! You might try melting the vaseline and also heating up the mold, slosh the Vaseline and make sure it all drains out. Obviously the master needs to be slick as a whistle as well.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Is it a closed mold with no access to the inside? Is it a one or two piece mold? What is the shape? Maybe we can figure something else out.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dav » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Two piece rectangle like some of Larry's whiggley molds.
dav

Postby dav » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 pm

http://custombaits.com/index.php?action ... ew;id=2519 Here is a pic of another mold I made. The one I want to make a mother mold from is the same just smaller. If i posted the link against forum rules please delete after viewing.
dav

Postby dav » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 pm

I am thinking amazing remelt. Does it interfere with the cure of tin or platinum silicones?
dav

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm not sure why you feel you need something liquid? I'd simply smear a thin layer of Vaseline. Use a Q tip or something similar to apply in the extremely thin areas like the fins.

Remelt would work but likes to shrink and move a little too much in long sections as it shrinks when it cools. Probably wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making