Microwave

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Microwave

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:25 pm

I Made A Mold 3 Days Ago That Still Hasen't Cured,Has Anybody Ever Finished Curing A Mold By Heating It In A Microwave .
bassfighter1

Re: Microwave

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Heat and humidity speed up the cure, but even dry cold will not stop it. If it takes longer then about 24 hours, then it likely will not cure with heat, any heat. Still, try my earlier suggestion of humidity and heat.

A microwave can be used to heat up the mold box first, and it will make silicone hot, but I have never been able to get a microwave to speed up the cure sufficiently to make it work well.

Still, give it a try and good luck.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks AA
bassfighter1

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Try putting the mold in the oven at 175 degrees. I usually put a cake pan with a half inch or so of water on the shelf under the one the mold is on. This might be too much information, but I often take a mold with me into a super hot sauna, then when the sauna gets so hot I can't take it, I pour even more water on the rocks and bail out, turn off the sauna and leave the mold to cure in the super heated steam.
If mixed properly (improper mixing is where 99% of curing problems evolve) this procedure will cut the cure time down to an hour or so with any of the rtv compounds. The sauna is even quicker.
It's also better to err on the side of too much rather than too little of the catalyst.
(BTWI also let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes to be sure all the bubbles are out before putting it in the oven)
If your mold doesn't cure with the oven bake, it's not going to, but if it's getting less tacky after an hour I'd leave it for as long as my hope held out.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making