Copic Whiggley

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Copic Whiggley

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 am

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... g47pea.jpg

Here's a little copic 8" whiggley I did. Fun little system. only had time to upload one photo will try to get more soon as i experiment with different patterns. Also have been doing a combo of dust and copic with some really cool results.

I definitely recommend doing your painting over a pearl body... you'll know what I mean once you've dipped it :P

p.s.
it swims as good as it looks.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Copic Whiggley

Postby bassfighter1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Does The BB's Work As Good As Tungsten Powder.
bassfighter1

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Although I've only used them on lures six inches and up I've found bb's work great (fine lead shot is even better, like nine or seven and a half), but if whigs are very soft it will blow out after while. tungsten is more durable, but more expensive and a little more tricky to work with.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 am

I've been using bb's in my whigs and bulldawg style baits for the last year ... simply from an ease of use and ability to quickly determine how much weight I'm putting in my lures and they work fantastic. I've also used them in some tiny 5" whigs (swim baits) and they work very well in them as well. You can see them in the new video we just posted this morning demoing the Copic pens and refilling them. Here is a link if you'd like to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGUgS9O ... e=youtu.be

We'll post another video of how we made this lure in the next couple weeks.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 am

I prefer bb's over the tungsten powder for sure.
Like Mike said, easy gauge how much weight you're adding.

Works great for my 6", 8" and 13" whiggleys.
i kind of go by an inch method... one BB per inch the bait is to keep it belly down. works for me. play with a little bit, sometimes i do a combination of microballoons and bb's
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Rhett makes a great point with the balloons. Regardless of whether you are making hard baits or soft, adding buoyancy to the dorsal side of a lure has the same effect on it's center of gravity in the water as adding weight to the bottom! In the case of plastisol, if you add microballoons for buoyancy 1) it will be milky in color and, 2) Is likely to be a bit stiffer.
keep gooping!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:24 am

https://youtu.be/fY07xQxMc1k

I would normally use a heavier treble, but was trying to keep the bait higher up since the water clarity was so poor
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making