Cleaning brushes

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Cleaning brushes

Postby Badger1992 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:44 pm

What is the recommended solvent for cleaning applicator brushes used to apply epoxy? I don't feel like buying 100 disposable brushes. I've seen recommendations including acetone, methylated spirits and even white vinegar.

Thanks!
Badger1992

Re: Cleaning brushes

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Brother- I would just keep doing what you're doing. I would NEVER buy an expensive brush to apply epoxy with. It's pretty much toast after one use. I buy those super cheap brushes from Home Depot or Lowes. The ones used in plumbing to apply flux onto solder joints. They are less than a dollar each ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Elec ... /202939867 ). I buy handfuls of them at a time when doing an epoxy job. I also use them when applying Alumidust to a silicon mold. It's honestly your cheapest and most logical choice. Outside of the financial aspect, think about the time it takes to clean the brushes with some sort of caustic chemical. Think if you don't get it all, and some residue from your last epoxy job that was still stuck inside of the bristles of your supposedly "clean" brush got onto your new epoxy job. It's just not worth it to me. The only trouble I have found with those brushes is they have a tendency to shed an occasional bristle. I overcome this by putting the tip of the brush (where the metal crimps against the bristles) into a vise or vise grip pliers, and giving it a good squeeze for safe measure. This really locks the bristles in place. After you squeeze it, then pull on the bristles with your fingers to see if you can dislodge any loose ones. Once you do this a few times, and you can't forcefully remove any more bristles, you are golden. You can also trim them to shape if you want a smaller, or a more angled tip. That's just my $.02 though.
Fomen38

Re: Cleaning brushes

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Best thing is alchohol, but I tend to agree with fomen. I've switched to UV and have used the same brush for a year. I just hide it in aluminum foil and it never cures!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making