Popper flies

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Popper flies

Postby anglermanagement » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 am

Hey guys

I've been using a lot of closed cell foam sheets for fly tying in the past but after watching King Dahlbergs recent video on popper heads I think I may convert for my commercial tying. It seems you get better consistency and a more durable product.
I was wondering what the buoyancy alumifoam has and how durable the 610 foam (toothy salwater fish worthy?) is before investing.
Also what is the best finishing agent? I've tested several types of epoxy on my foam bugs most of them make the flies bomb proof and sexy but unfortunately they all seem to make my patterns more dense and difficult to cast. I heard you mention Acrylics and "the stuff you make decals out of". What are decals made of and is it durable enough for saltwater bugs.

Thanks,
Rudy
anglermanagement

Re: Popper flies

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:30 am

Both Alumifoam and flex foam will work for popper heads. The alumifoam is really, really tough and pretty similar to cork in terms of weight.
The flex is open cell, but it floats quite well and makes good diver and popper heads. It's a little touchier to work with when making tiny objects but has great potential for all kinds of fly applications.
My suggestion would be to try Alumifoam. It can be dyed, the mold can be dusted with Alumidust, or you can paint it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making