Issues with High Strength 2

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Issues with High Strength 2

Postby Fred6944 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am

This is the second time I have mixed up this silicone material to create molds and the material at best only partially sets up resulting in a sticky unusable mess. I am mixing individual 1 lb. batches so there is not an issue with the amount of catalyst used. Does anybody have any suggestions to turn this project around without the need to cleanup and redo both of these molds. Heat? More catalyst? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fred6944

Re: Issues with High Strength 2

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:59 pm

ultimately, we will no doubt as usual on issues such as these turn to the Goop King, but my guess is either something reacted between the master and the silicone or it was under catalyzed. If it were me, depending how thick it is would add catalyst if the mixture is thin enough to accept it and if not would bake it at a very low temp in the oven. Like 175F or less.
I feel your pain.!! so sorry you've had a problem. We'll get it sorted out as soon as mike gets the details.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 am

Hello Fred,

So I'm assuming you shook, then dumped all the catalyst in the catalyst bottle into the base, mixed, and poured. Is that correct? More questions ...

So was the whole thing sticky or partially set up? Or was part of it cured and part of it sticky/gooey? I'm assuming you've made molds where it cured fine and these are the only two you've had issues with? If so, do these two molds you've had issues with the same color pink as the ones that have cured properly? Or were they lighter or darker pink? Where did you get the High Strength 2? Did we ship it directly to you or did you purchase them through a retailer somewhere?

We will figure this out and get it straightened out for you.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Fred6944 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:19 pm

I let the molds cure for the last three days which helped save one mold but the other was still a partially cured mess. It held its shape but had soft spots throughout the mold and any wet spots results in hands full of sticky residue. The problem areas cured a lighter pink than a normal mold. I have a lot of experience with HS 2 so I am confident I did not screw up the mixing and the catalyst was pre-measured for the 1 lb. batch size. I only purchase products off the Alumilite website. Previous problems were on a master made of Alumilite White and this time the master was made of ABS plastic so I am sure there was not an adverse reaction with the master.
Fred6944

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 am

High Strength series rubbers from Alumilite are tin based and do not "inhibit" like platinum silicones rubbers do when they come into contact with specific substrates like vinyl, sulfur, tin, super glue, etc. Only issue is with porous substrate that the silicone flows into which is not the case with ABS or Alumilite White.

Please give me a call and lets see what else we can figure out. Also if you wouldn't mind, please send me a pic of your molds and the problem areas. mike(at)alumilite(dot)com

thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making