issue with alumidust

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

issue with alumidust

Postby TonyS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:20 am

I am having an issue with the dust not sticking after I heat the crap out of it. Here is a pic of the lure I was trying to dust. U ccan see how my fingerprints rubbed it off.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ ... bxicfl.jpg
TonyS

Re: issue with alumidust

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:30 pm

did the surface liquefy or smoke a little? If you use too much dust sometimes you can have setting issues with heat. The other option is to dip them in clear.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby TonyS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply Larry.
Yes it gets into a liquid form and smokes. It just seems to me that it soaks to far down into the plastic. Should I add another coat n see what happens?
TonyS

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:47 am

Just want to make sure I have the steps correct ... finished white lure, then add dust, then heat up ... which just remelts the surface which locks the dust in. Correct?

Typically, when I heat/torch the dust on the surface, my scale pattern will typically almost always run or blur. Then I know the surface is hot enough and liquid enough to lock in my dust. The scale pattern in your picture looks almost perfect. I'd recommend warming the surface up, as Larry stated until you can see it starting to smoke a little and/or the edges of the scales to start to round. Basically the surface of the soft plastic lure has to liquefy to lock in the dust. If its not hot enough to almost run or as Larry said ... smoke a little, its possible it did not quite become hot enough to grab the Alumidust.

Dust over dust and reheating it doesn't work that great so if you'd like to reapply, I'd take a little rubbing alcohol and remove all the first with a paper towel. Then start over with more dust.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making