Need advice for hard plastic

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Need advice for hard plastic

Postby mulletmaster08 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi everyone, Texas guy that is new to this forum and lure making. What I have in mind is not so much of a lure, but a rattle. They make some that are called Rockport Rattlers that are made of plastic with several small BB's that you attach to your line in place of a swivel. (pretty much a hollow tube filled with BB's with a place to tie your line at each end)

What I want to do is make one slightly larger, with one ball bearing or one larger BB that makes a high pitch solid click when jerked. I want the sound that a SheDog by mirrolure or any other topwater may make. They advertise it as a "High Pitch" sound and looks as if it is a thinner plastic

My Question, What kind of material should I use to best replicate that? How do I get my BB inside of the "Hull" of my lure or tube? or once I have 2 halves, can they be glued together and be sturdy?

What would be the best way to go about making an item like this?

Thanks
Dave
mulletmaster08

Re: Need advice for hard plastic

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:43 pm

I would try to encapsulate the bb's inside a separate tube, which would be inserted in the mold or added into a cavity later. Because the resin gets pretty hot when it hardens sometimes capsules can burst if theyre not strong enough. I'd think thin wall copper or brass with bb's inside and soldered shut should work fine.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making