Tail question for Mike

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Tail question for Mike

Postby SQUIRREL3495 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Mike,

I would like to add soft fins to my resin swimbaits. Pec, dorsal, tail. I've been using flex 30 with o.k. results, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions. Also, is it possible to dye the flex 30, I've just been adding silver worm glitter, but like I said, just o.k. results. I've seen fins on other high end swimbaits, and just can't get mine to the same quality.

Thanks in advance.
SQUIRREL3495

Re: Tail question for Mike

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:25 am

Yes, you can dye the Flex rubbers. Not sure of what other materials to suggest for fins. I do know that adding flakes or beads makes it easier to tear.
Be interested in Mike's suggestions.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Tail question for Mike

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes, you can add dye but be careful of the amount. Too much dye can negatively effect the cure of the Flex 30. Typically less than .5% of the weight of the A side is enough dye to color any of the Flex series. Make sure to preheat your mold and avoid introducing too much air into the system before pouring it in your mold if you are not vacuuming or pressure casting. Too much air in the resin before pouring can make the flex almost crumbly if it is not degassed. Degassed or pressure cast flex will give you a dense, durable, high tear strength piece.

Another option all together is look at the Perf 65D resin. This is a very high impact strength resin that you can use for the body (with balloons) and the fins with straight Performance 65D.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making