Expediting shrinkage on a silicone mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Expediting shrinkage on a silicone mold

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:43 pm

This question is for Mike-

Mike, I have a question for you. I'm in the midst of my first attempt to shrink a silicone mold. I followed the instructional video with 10:1 silicone/catalyst, then adding 30% by weight of component C (odorless mineral spirits). It's been about 5 days, and I have seen very little shrinkage to my mold. There has been some, but it's been minimal. I can still smell the odorless mineral spirits in the mold, and it's still much softer than a similar mold made with just the A & B silicone components. I'm assuming that as the odorless mineral spirits evaporate off, the mold will tighten up, and the odor will dissipate. I having it air dry in an open air setting. I even have it drying on a metal rack, so all sides have equal exposure for evaporation. I'm just curious if placing the mold in the oven on, lets say, 150 degrees would expedite the shrinking process by evaporating off the mineral spirits. Or would it shrink too fast and distort the shape of the mold? Any experience with trying this?

Thanks,
Scott
Fomen38

Re: Expediting shrinkage on a silicone mold

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:48 am

You are exactly right. The variable in the amount of time it takes to shrink is typically the thickness of the mold. The bigger the mold, the longer it takes. Yes, I have put mine in an oven at low temps ... 125 F for 3-4 hours and it may have helped but not as much or should I say as fast as I would have liked. I would make sure it is an electric oven or even a designated toaster oven and not a gas oven.

Great question ... and please let us know if it helps and perhaps the size/thickness of your mold.
thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making