What do I need??

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

What do I need??

Postby edscreek » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

Hi guys, I am looking at making a hard plastic spoon that has been discontinued. Some of you may remember them, Martin lures. I don't know what I need for making them, Help please.....? Thanks Rob.
edscreek

Re: What do I need??

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 am

If you want to mold and cast hard plastic spoons similar to Waylan Miller (his are clear) who won the last Build Off a couple years ago, I'd simply suggest the Hard Bait kit. This has the Sculpey III to make the master, the High Strength 2 to mold your master, and the Alumilite White to cast your spoons.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 am

Just to clarify ... you would use the High Strength silicone mold making rubber to make a two piece mold.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby edscreek » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks Mike, I also have been trying to find some sort of brass rivets that would go through the plastic lure otherwise the plastic would just have two holes in it. One for the hook and one for the swivel. I hope I explained that ok. Any Ideas? Thanks, Rob.
edscreek

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:10 am

I suggest running a brass or steel wire all the way through and using the loops formed by the wire as connection points. in other words, you would form the wire, then place it inside the mold before pouring so it is embedded inside the lure.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby edscreek » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Mike, I purchased the hard bait kit. I have made a mold and made about six spoons with it. It is not coming out very strong. I called the company and talked to a tech about it and tried it again but still the spoons are too bendable? She said maybe my spoons are not thick enough. I don't know what to do, the spoons are very thin. They might be an 1/8" thick. Is there something I can do?
edscreek

Return to Lure Making