Casting resin and mold air pockets

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Casting resin and mold air pockets

Postby Shaane » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:35 am

I am currently using the casting resin and injecting it into the mold. I have two undercuts in the mold that are creating air pockets in the final cast. If I cut the mold to make chase holes I might compromise the mold. If I use the hard alumifoam will it expand within and help to push those air pockets out of the mold????
Shaane

Re: Casting resin and mold air pockets

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:53 pm

I would try repositioning the mold when the resin is still liquid to try and get the bubbles to rise out of the pockets. I would say it is quite likely alumifoam will fill the voids.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Casting resin and mold air pockets

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:35 am

Larry is right ... try pouring the mold half way or however far necessary and then rotate the mold to allow the trapped air to escape by tilting the mold. Once you believe the air has escaped, continue pouring. The other option is to pour half way, then "burp" the mold. Basically squeeze it right below the point where the air gets trapped. This changes the angle of the undercut and normally flushes the air bubbles out and when you release the mold the resin sucks back into the undercut filling it. After burping the mold a few times (from the bottom or below the under cut), simply continue to pour your mold until full.

Alumifoam will do better but that air still needs somewhere to go. So you may decrease the size of the air pocket however I think it would still be a problem area for you as that air has no where to go.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making