which mold to use

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

which mold to use

Postby eatsleepswimbait » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm

I will be making a mold master and as i look at the types hs1-3, i get more and morw confused. I will be using wood to make mold. Please let me know whoch is best to make a mold and or explain the 3 different types. This will be my first time and the bait will be 8 inch 2 piece, so any info on how much mold i need would help as well. Thanks greatly in advance.
eatsleepswimbait

Re: which mold to use

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:48 pm

HS1, or otherwise more accurately called quick set, does just that, it sets up quicker. It is also firmer, stiffer. If your new lure is going to require a two piece mold, a top and bottom, and if you need the stiffness, then Quick set is excellent.

HS2 is a good all-a-round mold material. It is not as stiff or firm as Quick set (HS1), or as flexible, but it is excellent for most applications. If I had only one mold making material, that is the one I would use. If the undercuts, or pieces of the master that are not too deeply inset into the mold, it is excellent.

HS3 is by far the most flexible, most elastic, and I think strongest, but it is not very firm. If you use foams to pour into this mold, you can get some lure expansion. The mold can be supported by clamps or you can use less foam, or ...... but it is indeed the best for lures where the master has the most undercuts.

The surface quality of the mold is dependent on the surface quality of the master, so if you make your master out of wood, make the surface as detailed, and as smooth, as you want the final lure.

I hope this helps, good luck.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 am

One slight correction to Anglin's post:

High Strength 1 is a new product in the High Strength series that is stiffer than the High Strength 2 but not quite as hard as the Quick Set (completely different product from High Strength 1). High Strength 1 is pink like the other High Strength series rubbers. Unlike the Quick Set, the High Strength series silicones have a very high tear strength. It is my first choice if you need exceptional tear strength in a higher durometer (stiffer) silicone. Because it is a little stiffer, it is great for making 2 piece molds as the two halves will line up great with one another.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 am

Uggggg, I am obsolete. LOL.

Thanks Mike.
aka anglinarcher

Postby eatsleepswimbait » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Do appreciate the respons, thank you
eatsleepswimbait

Postby bassfighter1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Cool An HS1,Hey Mike I Noticed Some Of Larrys Molds Were Blue What Material Is This
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 pm

http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/927-Plat-55.aspx

Not Mike, LOL, but I believe Larry is using PLAT 55 for some of his molds. The instructions give ways to use it without Vacuum degassing, but ....... I am pretty sure Larry uses a vacuum. I consider myself pretty good but I don't have a vacuum degassing system so I won't even touch PLAT 55.

But, ...... Someday. :mrgreen:
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks Angle,How's The Fishing In LA,Caught Any Big Reds Yet
bassfighter1

Postby bassfighter1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks Angle,How's The Fishing In LA,Caught Any Big Reds Yet
bassfighter1

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Plat 55 is a Platinum Base 55A silicone. It is has a high durometer (means its very stiff or firm) ... much like the Quick Set ... even a little harder but has very good mold life as well as tear strength. Its great for making 2 piece molds or molds for foam because it maintains its shape very well. The 2 down sides are that it is very thick (degassing is recommended) and you have to be careful of inhibition (when it comes in contact with certain materials ... like tin - like the High Strength or Quick Set base rubbers, sulfur used in many clays, vinyl - like duct tape or pvc pipe, and last but not least super glue ... the Plat 55 will not cure. The bulk of the mold will cure beautifully but where ever the surface of the Plat 55 touches one of these materials it doesn't like, 1/16" of the Plat 55 will not cure and be a mess!

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:02 pm

bassfighter1 wrote:
> Thanks Angle,How's The Fishing In LA,Caught Any Big Reds Yet

Not yet, but I have got to get out of the office more and come March it should start to get very good. I have done some late fall and winter big LMB and it is has been pretty awesome. I am so glad I moved down here. :arrow:
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making