3D printing

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

3D printing

Postby tom319 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 am

Larry,
With 3D printing becoming more affordable to the masses, do you see a can of worms opening with patent/copyright infringement or is this going to be the next wave in lure crafting ?
Thanks,
Tom
tom319

Re: 3D printing

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 am

No question about it. Mike, aka , GoopKing is already going full tilt and coming up with some amazing results! Not sure about the legal aspects.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby bassfighter1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:05 pm

What Business Have Them,I. Have Some Lures I Wanna Make Bigger,Without Wassting My Goop
bassfighter1

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:25 pm

The only problem with a 3D printer, is you need to know CAD (computer aided drafting) to create a model or prototype. I'll tell you when 3D printers will revolutionize the world of fishing- when 3D laser scanners become affordable. There's no way you will be able to precisely match the dimensions of your favorite lure by guesswork. You can get close (and maybe that's all you want or need), but it will never be exact. WeatherTech makes floor mats for vehicles where they utilize hand held laser scanners to create a product that fits the dimensions of the floor board of a particular vehicle EXACTLY. Their scanner uses a criss-cross pattern of lasers to extrapolate contours as well as dimensions. Then they plug that information into their milling machine where they make a metal mold that it then set into their injection molding machine. I have the WeatherTech floor mats, and they are AWESOME! You'll never use another brand once you get them..... But enough about WeatherTech. The point is, the laser scanning tool enables them to precisely, and exactly measure the dimensions of a particular object, then transfer the compatible software to their milling machine. When you can integrate the hand held scanner with a 3D printer, the SKY IS THE LIMIT my friend!
Fomen38

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29 am

Easy way of experimenting with increasing the size of a lure is to take your mold and soak it in Mineral Spirits (Odorless Mineral Spirits work as well) which can be found in the paint aisle of most hardware stores like Menards, Home Depot, etc.

The silicone will absorb the mineral spirits and swell your mold. This works much better with 1 piece molds. Its not an exact science but if you watch the mold over the course of a few hours, you will notice it swell 10-20% larger. Then remove it from the container of mineral spirits and dry it well. Then pour Alumilite casting resin into the mold to make a new "master" of a larger lure. Now you have a new master that is 10-20% larger. Then simply set your mold out for a few days. The mineral spirits will evaporate and the mold will eventually return to its original size.

Like I said, this is not an exact science but an inexpensive way to try pouring a bigger lure.

You can also flip this process ... add 30% mineral spirits to your High Strength 2 mold making rubber after you mix the base and catalyst. This will make your liquid rubber extremely thin ... will look like Pepto Bismo. Then pour your mold. After 12 hours or so when you feel it is firm enough to demold ... GENTLY demold it from the box and remove it from your master. Then allow it to sit out in the open for 3-4 days. Your mold will shrink and give you a smaller than your original mold of your master ... approx. 20-30% smaller.

Also not an exact science but something to play with if you are interested.

Formen38 is right. We have 3D scanning and 3D printing capabilities and the sky is the limit. Normally one would not have copy right infringement issues unless you get your hands on and print another person or company's engineering file of their lure. If you are going to print a lure, most are going to make it their own because they are unhappy or would like to improve a lure in some way. So I don't see many issues surfacing unless its a deliberate case of stealing someone's intellectual property.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making