Types of wire/wire forming

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Types of wire/wire forming

Postby mszymusi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Disclaimer: I am primarily a fly-tyer and I come in peace

I am looking to make custom length shanks for articulated flies. These include a hook eye/closed loop, a straight shank, an open loop that is closed with thread once attached to the fly.

I am thinking I can use needle nose to bend some wire but I'm trying to figure out which type to use.

I initially thought to use stainless steel like a spinner-bait but also see that many of you use copper wire as a base, run through hard body lures. I was wondering what the differences between these wires are, especially how they hold up in the water (fresh) and tensile strength because the weak point of these shanks are in the bent loops.

I am looking to make both bass/trout size flies as well as pike and musky size flies with these, so recommendations as to wire size would be appreciated too.

I am also wondering about making a "hook eye" type closed loop on the front of these shanks. Is this possible without spiral wrapping the wire down the shank much like a small spinner bait? Also, are there any wire formers on the market that will do this and/or wire formers are are customizable. The ones I've found that are designed for fishing tackle seem to be specifically designed to make in-line spinners. Have I just not seen the right instructional videos for these tools or are their capabilities pretty limited?

Thanks for the help, happy holidays.
mszymusi

Re: Types of wire/wire forming

Postby bassfighter1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:55 am

Not Larry But The Boggs Tackle Maker Would Do The Trick,Merry Christmas
bassfighter1

Postby dahlberg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:35 am

Yes, the boggs will work. You might also want a round nose pliers. Stainless steel wire of the proper diameter is all you need. Copper is out of the question because it's too soft.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mszymusi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. Merry fishmas to both of you
mszymusi

Return to Lure Making