Go fishing!

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Go fishing!

Postby Freightrain47 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 am

Regardless of how many great ideas I think I have, I don't ask people to to come watch me screw off in my garage experimenting with my baits and gear because it is F-ing boring as hell. It may seem fun and intuitive to you, but a lot of us are pretty handy and come up with some of our own solutions and new ideas too! In fact that is where the other million baits and gear ideas came from.... The difference is that the vast majority of those people, although they had some good ideas, didn't feel they were so groundbreaking that everybody needed to watch them work on their hobby. Those people apparently almost all know that nobody cares about how they brilliantly figured out to ream out a hole that wasn't big enough, and certainly wouldn't put it on television.... Because it's boring... Go Fishing!
Freightrain47

Re: Go fishing!

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 am

I have just been fishing, and I will be going again in a few hours. Have a great day, and keep spreading the joy!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey Larry, before you go fishing again, if you have not left already, I had a question regarding a thing or two you talked about on some of your shows.

I have been pondering the rod actions and powers you showed so well with your graph backdrop on HUNT FOR BIG FISH. Do you think that it would be possible, or even practical, to do a brand by brand, a model by model comparison? I know that I am in the market for a new "swim bait" rod, and I have no real way to even explain, or define, it to Mudhole or any other company because we don't have a common language. I kind of know what I want, but have no way to describe it. Your show did an excellent job of describing and explaining this - wish more people (companies) saw it and took it serious.

I have also been considering making a new long cast spinning rod. The two main theories that are out there regarding making the long cast rods seem to be to use a high profile 1st guide that is in line with the center of the spinning reel and a line that runs directly to the tip. Each line guide would be a different height and diameter to keep that straight line ........ The other is to use Mr. Hannon's guide that you introduced to us, also high profile. Perhaps a subject for a different show????? perhaps a subject for another post.

Personally, I appreciate seeing your perspective you show us on the show regarding lure construction, rod building, etc. I have been doing this kind of stuff for over 45 years, helped a lot of people, and now I can just tell them to go watch you show. Sure, a lot of this I figured out on my own, but had no way to show others, a lot of others, who ask the questions. A lot of the stuff gives me new perspective and new ideas to go with.

So, after you get done fishing, if you have the time, I hope you have the time to add a little more workshop info.

Thanks,
Steve
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Larry I'm Thankful You Show Us How To Make Lures In Your Workshop,And Has Helped Me A lot And I Say Thank You And Keep The Videos Coming.
bassfighter1

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:09 am

dahlberg wrote:
> I have just been fishing, and I will be going again in a few hours. Have a great
> day, and keep spreading the joy!
> best,
> L

That's why you gotta love Dahlberg hahaha!
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making