My First Whiggley

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

My First Whiggley

Postby setforvb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi, this is my first post. I'm a life-long fisherman from MD and I mainly target Striped Bass in the Chesapeake bay. The fishing action right now is hot with great topwater action yielding fish to 30+ inches.
I'm in the process of making my Sculpy Whiggley master. My question is how thick should a successful Whiggley be at the tail for the master? In terms of what I have now, my tail tappers to about the thickness of a quarter at the tip if the tail. Should it be thinner/thicker? Should the whole tail section be about the same thickness or is the taper ok?

Thanks
Cory
setforvb

Re: My First Whiggley

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:19 am

That should do the trick, generally you want the whole tail to be relatively close in thickness with a gradual taper from the body. have the head of the bait be the fattest part (height wise). I generally keep mine relatively thin all the way, but the tail is definitely the thinnest part.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby setforvb » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Rhett,

Thanks for the info. That's very helpful and I will need to do a bit more shaping before I attempt making the mold. BTW, to anyone who can use this tip, I found that Harbor Freight sells a small diamond needle file set which is great for detail work on cured sculpey material. I'll post up a pic of my master before moving on.

Thanks
Cory
setforvb

Postby setforvb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm

I've be reading through just about every post on Whiggley trying to gain as much info as possible before making my mold and I've decided to make another Sculpey master (#5) with extra care taken in regards to thickness and symmetry top to bottom and side to side. I was having problems getting the thickness the way I wanted then I discovered something cool that may help others. It’s called an Marcato Ampia 150 pasta maker. Run your Sculpey through that and get very consistent thickness to make your master out of. I happened to stumble on it while in Goodwill looking for Pyrex measuring cups. I paid 5 bucks for the thing which was still in the box. Anyway, it's really awesome and takes most of the guesswork out of getting the thickness right. My goal is to make a 7" Whiggley. I ran the Scupley through the #1 settings which is the thickest and then doubled it over, so my goal for the one side will about 6mm thick, 12mm total thickness which is just over a centimeter then taper it back from about 50% the body length to the tail ending in about the thickness of a quarter. This weekend’s project is to make master #5 which hopefully will make it through the mold making step. Will post a pic if I get it done. Any suggestions from anyone would be awesome.
setforvb

Return to Lure Making