Proper UMR use For "Goop" Mike

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Proper UMR use For "Goop" Mike

Postby joshdebo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:43 pm

So I attempted to make a two piece mold, however I'm guessing that I didn't apply the correct amount of UMR so it became a one piece mold... lol. Can you apply to much UMR? Does it have a shelf life? Is there a proper way to apply it? I figured it was self-explanatory, point and spray. What did I do wrong?
joshdebo

Re: Proper UMR use For "Goop" Mike

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 am

I spray a layer on, let it dry a bit, then spray another coat, maybe 2. Should be fairly slick to the touch, which keeps the two parts of silicone from bonding.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 am

After spraying with UMR you should see and feel a thin "greasy" coating on the surface. I usually hit it two or three times, making sure I've got it covered in the locator holes or slots.
On the one that doesn't want to separate I'd try cutting around the edges with a razor, then peel the mold apart.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:59 am

Rhett and Larry are correct. Spray a liberal amount on and cross hatch the direction to make sure you get good coverage.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure to spray the outside edges very well around the mold box. Sometimes the walls of your box don't seal perfectly and the liquid rubber from the second pour leaks down the edge of the first half of the mold that was already poured. There is no mold release down that edge and will absolutely bond like there is no tomorrow. It is the worst when using the High Strength. High Strength 2 and 3 have such extremely high tear strengths that they are almost impossible to separate.

If you think you sprayed the surface of your mold well but don't think the outside edges were covered as well, I recommend cutting a corner of the mold on an angle vertically which will go through both halves of the mold. So say the mold is square or rectangular shape, simply move in a half an inch for one of the corners and cut the corner off straight down through the first half of the mold and continue through the second half of the mold. Then try to separate the two halves from that cut.

Basically inside the seam may be separated and will release but around the edges it may be locked together. By cutting off a corner of the mold, allows you to get inside the mold a little to see if it will separate. If you can get it to separate a little, it will split open for you but you may have to use an Excel or Exacto knife around the edges where it stuck but allow it to separate if at all possible and avoid try to cut the part out which will make an ugly seam line. Once it starts to separate, it normally continues to let go.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making