Microwave or Hot Plate

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Microwave or Hot Plate

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 am

Ok Guys,
So, this is my question. When heating plastisol to achieve a cure-state temperature (approx 350 degrees F), which is the better method for heating. Is it a microwave set for low with the plastisol slowly heated in a pyrex pour cup, or is it a digitally controlled hot plate set at 350 degrees with an aluminum pan designed for pouring plastics? I have only used the microwave method, but I have found qualms with it. There are as follows: If you're pouring a plastic with multiple colors, and you're pouring the plastic into a small mold with one (or maybe several cavities) you have to keep the plastic in a liquid state. Sometimes it takes the plastic in the molds several minutes to cool to the point that you can extract it and toss it into some cool water. In the meantime, your plastic in the pyrex cups is cooling/curing/solidifying. So when you're ready for your next pour, you have to reheat the plastic in the microwave. You have to watch it very carefully, otherwise it will scorch, yellow, and STINK! This smell follows the plastic after it's cured. I've noticed the continuous heating, curing, heating, and curing eventually change the properties of the plastic to the point that it stiffens and eventually burns. This sucks when you've added dye to the plastic, because the color change is much harder to track. I use an infrared heat thermometer to track the temperature. This has helped tremendously, but I still have issues. I've also noticed that when heating in the microwave, and stirring, thousands of air bubbles get trapped in the plastic. This even happens when I stir it very slowly and avoid whipping it. These little air bubbles will transfer to your final product. You can't really notice them unless you stretch the plastic out. When stretched and elongated, the air bubbles become more visible. This doesn't really bother me as it's just aesthetic. I'm sure I could keep the plastic in a liquefied state much longer if I had more volume of plastic in my pyrex cup, but I don't usually pour a massive amount of plastic at one time. I just don't see the point in using more that you need, even though you can save the leftover and chop it up for remelting.

So, I've never tried this, but they have induction hot plates (the New Wave Induction Cooktop) that are digitally controlled to hit and hold a specified temperature. I'm thinking it would be better to use this cooktop in conjunction with the aluminum pots to pour my plastics. That way the plastic can stay at a specified temperature, in a liquid (pre-cured) state. It will always be ready to pour, and it will always be at the set temperature. Now, as I stated, I have never tried this. I have heard stories about the plastic scorching using this method, even when the hot plate is set for the correct temperature. But I'm wondering if the attempts people have made regarding this method was with a mechanical thermometer, or a digital thermometer on the cooktop? When I watch the infomercial for the New Wave, it utilizes "induction heat". This means that only the place on the cooktop where metal (your pot) comes into contact is where heat will be transferred. If this is the case, you should be able to fit 2 or 3 small aluminum vessels onto the cooktop at once, and only the surface area under the vessels will heat (and I'm talking about vessels like aluminum cups used for frothing up milk on a cappuccino). I'm also curious if the "bubbling effect" occurs when the plastic is heated in a pan on a cook top like it does in the microwave. The New Wave is supposed to be VERY accurate with it's temperature controls. That being the case, do you still think the plastic would scorch? If the cure temp is 350 degrees, and the cook top doesn't exceed that, why would the plastic scorch? It doesn't scorch at 350 degrees in the microwave.

Just looking for some feedback on this. Has anyone tried heating plastic using the New Wave cooktop? Just looking for your $.02 . Thanks.
Fomen38

Re: Microwave or Hot Plate

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am

The temp the hotplate registers is the heat it's set to, not the plastic's internal temperature. It would heat and liquify the bottom and by the time the top heats up, the bottom will likely burn.

Just speaking from the experience of working with hot plates on a daily basis. I'm sure it would be the same with plastisol.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't have any experience with the New Wave Induction type system and Alumisol however if you can control the heat ... even if it is "set" to less than 350F and allows the hot spots to reach 350F AND you keep the material circulated, I don't have any doubt that it would work. Keeping the material agitated if there are hot spots is the key as you ideally want to keep consistent heat throughout the material to prevent scorching.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 pm

I'ved used the induction plate and it works well. however, aluminum will not work with an induction top. it needs to be stainless steel. the stainless asparagus steamers are perfect for dipping. shallower fine for other things. still have to keep an eye on it, but it's much easier to control than a hot plate.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fomen38 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Ever thought about fabricating an automatic stirrer? It wouldn't be that hard. Just need a small, low RPM DC motor, a battery (or series of batteries), and some scrap metal for the chassis/hardware. Since I don't heat my plastic in a pot on a hot plate, I wouldn't need to make it. However, if I ever do, I will indeed make one. They also sell commercial, food grade stirrers for pots; They are made for stirring soups and sauces. I'm not sure if they could stand up to 350 degrees, and I'm not sure what the RPM's on them are. I would think they would have a potentiometer built into the circuity that would allow you to control the speed. If it's too fast, you will whip in air; but if set to a low RPM (like 10-15 RPM's), it would be perfect. And no need to babysit, because it would prevent the plastic on the bottom from scorching. Just a thought.

update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDEcFI_OISc

Check this out Larry. This is what you need my friend.
Fomen38

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Hmmm, wonder if it can handle the thicker plastic? With my luck it would set there and the top would spin and nothing would stir. :x :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Ui-lqimgc

Kind of figured it might have problems. Check out the above link. :shock: :cry:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making