High strength 2

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

High strength 2

Postby Smtty21d » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

Can u reuse hs2 in anyway? I have some old molds to get rid of if I could remelt.
Smtty21d

Re: High strength 2

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Yes you can but not by remelting. The way it is reused is to cut it up into pieces and add them into the corners and bulk pour of your new liquid rubber into your mold box over you original as a volume displacement.

I have heard of some people cutting them up with some type of industrial blender and adding the cut pieces as a filler to the rubber after they have poured fresh silicone over the piece (to make sure that no air is trapped on the surface of your piece to be molded). Once the skin is covered, the cut pieces are added and stirred into the bulk remaining liquid rubber and it is poured into the mold to decrease the amount of fresh High Strength 2 needed to cover your piece and make the mold.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: High strength 2

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Sorry, cannot re-melt them.

The easy answer is that you can cut them up into small pieces and use them as fillers on your new molds. In other words, if your mold wall is a half inch thick, you can pour a little less and put 1/4" pieces between the item being molded and the wall to take up space. The old material will adhere perfectly to the first if it is clean.

The not so easy answer is to ....... I wonder if I should even bring this up.. :shock: :arrow: ...... to modify the mold. For example, let us say that we have an old minnow bait and the mold is just worn out. You can trim out the damaged pieces, down to clean material, then put new material in and place your master back in and press it together and the new will bond with the old and now you have a new mold. Works great for me. Or, perhaps you have a minnow bait that you want to make thicker or longer. You could again trim out the guts, making the cavity large enough for the new master, place new material in and the new master, filling the cavity, leaving you with a "new mold". Again, this is the not so easy answer and it does take a bit of planning, a little natural skill, and practice...... but it does work.

If the above two options are not good for you, then all I know if is to trash them.

Hope this helps some.

Steve
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making