Welding fishing hooks

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Welding fishing hooks

Postby Fomen38 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Larry-
I've been thinking about making some of my own double fishing hooks (like Stanley Jigs Ribbit Double Take Hooks). Those hooks are pretty pricey though, and I think I can make them for much cheaper. They would be way too small to arc or mig weld. I was thinking that a spot welder would do the trick if I hit the two adjoining shafts in 2 or 3 spots. My concern however is changing the molecular properties by hitting them with so much heat. I have hit hardened hooks with heat in certain spots before, and the hooks become brittle in that spot. I could heat treat them after welding by heating them to white hot and quenching them in cool motor oil. This makes them diamond hard. Just curious what your thought are on this. Have you ever tried to weld two or 3 hooks together before?

Thanks,
Scott
Fomen38

Re: Welding fishing hooks

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:59 am

Yes I have messed with it and temper is an issue. We used a laser welder to weld a small ring on to the bend of a hook and it worked fine. From a "time and money" standpoint I think you will be ahead to simply purchase the hook.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making