Alumasol? For Mike, whiggley? For Larry

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumasol? For Mike, whiggley? For Larry

Postby Shaane » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 pm

I took the time and made a four part mold for whiggley (like the blue mold in Larry's video) after pouring several lures, I continue to have "dents" or indentations in the plastic. They are not air bubbles as they do not have a distinct ring around the area. They are however always close to the pour hole of the mold. It is as if the alumasol while drying and recessing into the pour hole is pulling and creating a dent. How do I mitigate these dents. My second question is for Larry, what is your take on the size of eyes (peek a boo) on whiggley for pike and musky. Should it be proportioned to the lure, slightly larger, smaller? I noticed on your shop lures the eyes are oversized and bulging, on the production whiggley they are very small in size to the lure. Thanks
Shaane

Re: Alumasol? For Mike, whiggley? For Larry

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:57 am

I would guess the bubbles around the pour hole are from tiny air bubbles trying to escape. the only thing I can think of to suggest would be to let the hot alumisol rest for a few minutes under lower temp to make sure the bubbles are free.
In regards to eyes, I used the peg style with the bulging eyes as part of the structure to hold everything together. I don't think the specific eye size matters much. The first ones I made, I used a wire coil in the nose and no eyes at all, and they caught fish like crazy, but were hard to tune because it was tough getting the eye just right.
Hope this helps!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Alumasol? For Mike, whiggley? For Larry

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm

The dents near the top (close proximity to the pour hole) are shrinkage. Basically what is happening in larger baits in close molds (not open pour like a one piece mold), the material in the pour hole and vents cools and hardens while there is still molten material inside the mold that still needs to shrink when it cools. So it shrinks and pulls away from the mold in the last are of it still being molten.

The fix, pour the lure 2/3 - 3/4 of the way full and do not cover your pour hole ... allowing the Alumisol to shrink from the entire top side of the pour like it would in a 1 piece open pour. After 3-5 minutes when you know it has skinned over and started to shrink, top the mold off right to the top of the lure (not the pour hole), and allow it to shrink again, then pour it complete to the top of the pour hole and allow to cool.

This should eliminate the dents in the upper sides of your lures.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making