Alumidust

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumidust

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:16 am

Larry, can you add alumidust to virgin plastisol or heated plastisol to color the plastic, or is its only application to be brushed into the mold and the hot plastic or casting resin be poured over it?
Fomen38

Re: Alumidust

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:37 am

yes, most certainly. In fact, for lots of things I don't use any dye at all, just dust. however, it's usually best to stir in the dust after your plastic has been brought up to temp and cured.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks Larry- I knew you would have an answer. The reason I asked is because sometimes I try to make a very specific color of Alumisol for plastics. I try mixing the dyes to achieve this, but it's nearly impossible to dial in the same color twice when you're combining them. I also noticed that when I add microballoons to the Alumisol I get a muddled down verson of the original color of the dye. It's especially noticeable with the fluorescent dyes. I understand that your changing the medium from translucent to white when you add microballoons, but I was actually really surprised to see how muddled the colors got. Maybe I'm not adding enough dye, but I know a little goes a long way since it's VERY concentrated. It's nice to know that I can add the Alumidust and achieve some good color as well. Alumidust is like GOLD!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! The only bad thing is it's expensive, so I'm hesitant to use it except in small quantities. A few months ago I posted a thread about using eye shadow as an Alumidust alternative. I think maybe I'll try adding some to some hot Alumisol and see if it has the same coloring effect as Alumiduse. If it does, WOMEN'S MAKE-UP DEPARTMENT, HERE I COME! :mrgreen:
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:19 am

Just a Shame I cant get it in the UK :cry:
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

Maclures wrote:
> Just a Shame I cant get it in the UK :cry:

You can't get Alumidust in the UK? Why??????
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:55 pm

I have tried and asked the people who stock some of the products if they can get me Alumidust , There reply was never heard of the stuff one put the phone down on me :shock: , and I don't think the other shop could be bothered to be honest so I gave up.

Mark
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:53 am

I contacted a guy on Ebay last night who sells full sets of Alumidust. He ships individual containers to anywhere in the world, but he only sends the complete sets to the USA. I asked him if you're willing to pay the shipping charges if he would send it to you. Hopefully he will. We have flat rate boxes for international shipping through the USPS. All he would have to do is fill out a small customs form, pay the flat rate, and off it would go. In the meantime- I don't know if you read the thread I posted a while back about an Alumidust alternative. Go to the department store, head over to the makeup isle, and grab yourself a couple of shades of women's eye shadow. They have it in 1000's of colors. You need to be specific in what you're looking for. It needs to dry, but cover well. It usually comes in small containers (like 1oz sizes). If they have sample containers open one and scrape the surface with your fingernail. It should be very fine and scrape up into a dry powder, but the color should stick well to your skin. If you find a color and texture that you like, bring it home and scrape/chop it up into a fine pile of fine powder. Dust it inside of your mold and pour your casting resin into it. It WILL work, because I have successfully used it. I haven't tried pouring hot Alumisol onto it to color the surface of soft plastics yet, and I haven't tried mixing it straight into hot Alumisol to see if I can color the whole batch. I meat to do that this weekend. I will report back to see if it works.

If push comes to shove, and you are serious about getting some Alumidust, and there is no other shipping alternative, I can probably send you a complete set. You will have to pay me in advance for it though, through PayPal (if you have an account). I will find out how much it will cost and let you know.
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Cheers Fomen38, I am interested but just at the moment ive had to pay out some big bills at home so money tight.

But many thanks Mark
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Marc..... TRY THE EYE SHADOW! It's DIRT CHEAP and it works! Plus there are thousands of colors. We have drug stores (convenience markets) in the US that have a little bit of everything in them. They carry several varieties. You can find some for $1 per container. Give it a shot.
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:20 am

Will do thanks again.

Mark
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:40 am

I forgot to tell you- when you scrape it into a fluffy pile, stick it in a glass container or make a little bowl out of aluminum foil and bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes. This will really dry it out and get it to that nice fluffy, powdery consistency like Alumidust.
Fomen38

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:47 am

Maclures wrote:
> Cheers Fomen38, I am interested but just at the moment ive had to pay out
> some big bills at home so money tight.
>
> But many thanks Mark

Mark- I just got a reply back from the guy on E-Bay. He said he will indeed send the Alumidust to the UK if you want a full set. So, when you save up enough money (about $120 dollars US), then go to his online store and purchase a set. I use it, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! It works AWESOME!!!!!! Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alumulite-Alumi ... TQ:US:1123

Oh yeah.... FREE SHIPPING!

Oh, and by the way.... I did an experiment with eye shadow. I got it all fluffed up, dried it out, and I dumped some of it into hot Alumisol. It worked like a CHAMP!!!! The color was even and vibrant. I don't think it's possible to get it to the dust-like consistency of Alumidust, but you can get it VERY close. Also, Alumidust is limited on it's colors. You pretty much have the whole spectrum, but some colors provide better coverage than others. The metalic colors (gold, copper, pewter, etc...) cover AWESOME!!!!!! Some of the lighter colors will cover, but the casting resin might show thru in spots. They have CRAZY colors of eye shadow though. Colors like neon lime green, and fire orange. And some of them (just like alumidust) have micro glitter mixed with them for shine. It works very good.
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 am

WOW Many thanks, that's a very good deal I have tried the eye shadow as you said and yes it is very good, only down fall I have is a couple of my molds leave areas where they need sanding so when I de-mold my lure I some times have to sand down (not a lot) but enough to where it will show the resin colour underneath ie white resin.
I have in one way or another sort of got round this by adding my pigment/eye shadow into the resin plus dust the mold, but it gets expensive with the product I have been using (Smooth-on) sorry to mention another maker/manufacture on here.

Fomen38
we do have bigish places where we can buy eye shadow and plenty of colours, my wife is a hairdresser and her shop has a beauty dept , where there is a very large selection :mrgreen: .

I have raided it now and got some really decent colours, thanks for the tip, but I will get some of the Alumidust as I really like the outcome of the finished product.

Mark
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Mark- regardless of whether you're using Alumidust or eye shadow, if you're sanding your piece after demolding, you are going to have resin showing through. Both products only cover the surface of the piece. Even if you mix the Alumidust or eye shadow in with the resin, you don't always get the shade and depth of color you're looking for. Most of the resins (when cured) go white or opaque. This muddles the color a bit. Why exactly are you sanding the lure after you've cast it? Isn't the whole object of casting the piece into a silicon mold lined with colorant to extract a finished piece? Just curious why you're sanding afterwards? If it's necessary to reshape the piece, why not shape it to the exact specifications you're shooting for, then pour another silicone mold? That way you wouldn't ever have to sand afterwards....

BTW, PLEASE tell me what you're wife said when you told her you wanted to look at her eye shadow... :lol:

Also, my wife was a hair stylist for years. She had to change careers because the constant standing and repetitious movements nearly destroyer her neck. If your wife starts complaining about her neck (cervical area) hurting, tell her to GET OUT of the industry. It will only get worse. My wife's Chiropractor said the careers that send him the most patients are Hair Stylists and Dental Hygienists- both of which suffer with chronic neck issues. Some people might never have a problem with it, but IF your wife starts telling you that her neck bothers her, bite the bullet and look for a new career. Just looking out for you brother!

Cheers,
Scott
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Many thanks scott

When I pour my lures I sometimes get a bit of leakage between the two half's, so I sand them down plus the spurs where I have air vents, I think I might make another silicon mold, Im not sure if I am putting too much pressure on the mold with rubber bands when I pour ?

LOL When I asked her about the eye shadow she said (you got something to tell me ?), And yes she does suffer with next pain but at the moment shes bringing all the money in at the moment so she can suffer a bit longer. :mrgreen:
Maclures

Postby Fomen38 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Mark- to overcome your issue with exposed resin after sanding I have a suggestion. Try mixing a 2 part epoxy resin (like the stuff you can buy at any hardware store) with the specified color of Alumidust or eye shadow. On it's own, it will cure transparent, but the Alumidust or eye shadow you mix in will become the dominant color throughout. Once mixed (while still liquid) brush it over the spots where your sanding has exposed the casting resin. if it goes on a little thick, then that's ok. You can sand that down and the color will follow throughout. I would use a VERY fine grit sand papaer to do this. I've never tried it, but the concept seems like it would work. The best 2 part epoxy resin that I know of is "Liquid Nails". It comes in a VERY small double sided tube/syringe. The thing that makes it the best is it cures crystal clear, and it has a VERY high temperature tolerance. Also, the epoxy resins used to cover wraps on fishing rods (if you make your own fishing rods from blanks) dries rock hard, and crystal clear. But I'm thinking the stuff in the tubes (regardless of brand) would work great. I have some at home. I think I'm going to try it myself. Do the same from your end and we'll report back.

Scott
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 am

Will do I have some rather good eye shadow now (My daughter laughed at my collection and of course a few have gone missing :mrgreen: ) Girls stay out of my makeup PMSL .
Maclures

Postby luccio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Mclures,

you can find Alumidust in Uk.
Take a look here : http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalCasting.html
Scroll the page down up to the bottom page and you'll find the product.

Luccio
luccio

Postby Maclures » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Well thanks you very much luccio, when I asked them they said they don't stock it ?, now that's made me happy I will still use the eye shadow though lol

cheers Mark
Maclures

Postby luccio » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:53 pm

You are Welcome !!! Happy to help you !!!

Eyeshadow works well too !!!

When Formen38 wrote 200 degrees ,he did mean F° or C° degrees ?

Luccio
luccio

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 am

I meant F. Sorry about not specifying that. I don't know WHY in the Unites States we are on the standard system of measurement when the ENTIRE WORLD is on the metric system. I'm not sure if that applies to temperature or not (C vs. F), but I think it does. I have traveled abroad before and in every country I visit the temperature is always forecast and displayed in C.
Fomen38

Postby Maclures » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:01 pm

LOL years back we too drove on the wrong side of the road (before my time) and we had temperature the same as the usa , but I think joining the EU (BIG MISTAKE) we now drive the left , and use Celsius crazy politicians.

Cant leave a good thing be.
Maclures

Postby luccio » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:08 am

Thank you Fomen38.

Pound, ounce, yard, inch, foot, mile, pint, drive on the left.
They all units of measure and customs Roman (ancient Romans).
I'm happy and proud because I was born and live in Roma but I also do not understand why the U.S.A., which have made a revolution against the British, and that it is a country based on immigration still has the same British units of measure ( U.S.A. has only changed the way of driving ).
I agree with Maclures about the EU (BIG MISTAKE). We (Italy) have done much worse, we also have the euro (currency)

Luccio
luccio

Return to Lure Making