Bubbles in cured Alumisol

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Bubbles in cured Alumisol

Postby Fomen38 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 am

Larry or Mike- I know I'm not the only person on here who has encountered this issue, and I'm probably not the first to ask about it (so forgive me for not researching if you have answered this before). My question is this: How do I keep bubbles from forming in my hot Alumisol? Lately, I've been trying not to "whip" the product when I add dye or microballoons, but I still seem to get bubbles. When I look at the professionally poured plastics, they are bubble free. Do you degas the Alumisol while it's hot and molten, or is there another technique that I'm missing? Or is it I'm just whipping the product too much? I have noticed that when I set my microwave on "low" and heat it up, it the process seems much smoother requiring less stirring. I'm thinking the less you can stir it (while still completely incorporating your additives) the better. I covet your expertise and years of experience. Thanks in advance for your reply/ies.

Scott
Fomen38

Re: Bubbles in cured Alumisol

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 am

Have you tried thinning out the alumisol a bit?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Fomen38 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Thinning it with an additive, or thinning it by cooking it longer to achieve a less viscous texture? The only additives I am aware of that would change the physical properties of the plastic is softener, hardener, or heat stabilizer. Is there something else I'm missing or unaware of.

Thanks
Fomen38

Postby dahlberg » Thu May 22, 2014 5:20 pm

just let it sit for a while after heating, maybe on mid power in the microwave and it should solve the problem.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu May 22, 2014 8:41 pm

I normally whip mine too but after bringing it up to heat in the microwave, I let it sit as Larry mentioned. I let mine sit for approx 1 minute. Then turn the microwave back on for 15-20 seconds, then let it sit another minute in the microwave while leaving it turned off. Basically just give the bubbles time to come up and pop before pouring into your mold. I do not stir it anymore after it is melted. I may take the handle, pick it up and swirl it around once or twice but I don't stir it anymore which would introduce more air. Do this 2 or 3 times at the absolute max and you will have bubble free Alumisol.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Fomen38 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:08 am

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the insight.
Fomen38

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue May 27, 2014 11:21 am

yeah i meant thin it out with softener. Sorry wasn't very specific.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Fomen38 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:02 pm

I've had issues with the softener and colors bleeding into one another. I'm at odds on precisely how much to add to your Alumisol to achieve your desired level of "softness", yet not cross into the threshold of colors bleeding into one another. To be honest with you, I really can't even notice that much of a difference when using the softener. Do you add the softener prior to heating the virgin Alumisol in the microwave, or do you add it after it's reached it's optimum heated viscosity to start the curing process? These are questions I would rather discover BEFORE starting one of my projects. I can't STAND if I mess something up to the point that it isn't recoverable or reusable. Money down the tube! I added it when my plastic was hot- and I didn't precisely measure out the ratio. This is surely why the colors bled, but maybe you can give me some insight on this.
Fomen38

Postby dahlberg » Tue May 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Aha!! Add the softener before heating, and stir it in. It has to reach curing temp before it will cure. I add as much as 20% by volume to the standard alumisol.
If you are remelting cured plastic add the softener with the chopped up cured pieces prior to heating.
As I mentioned before, you might also try using a bit less dye. the alumilite dyes are super concentrated compared to others.
Not too much to worry about regarding recoverability other than color. Just reheat to cure temp and start again.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making