Fluorescent Alumidyes

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Fluorescent Alumidyes

Postby pat28 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi Mr. Dahlberg and fellow lure makers. I started pouring my soft plastics from Alumisol using Alumidyes recently. I find that the regular colors of Alumidye are very potent, that is to say that one drop does alot. However, I cannot seem to achieve the results (or colors) I want with the fluorescent colors I have on hand (fluorescent orange, red, green and yellow). Those seem much harder to push out of the bottles, too. Would they have been sold dry to me? Or is there any trick I can use to make them work? I have tried to mix them with white to obtain an opaque, solid color, but no pure fluo color has come out of my pours yet. The best I can come up with is a somewhat translucent and somewhat bright color. Any help will be more than appreciated.

Sincerely,

Patrick
pat28

Re: Fluorescent Alumidyes

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm

If Mike does not get on soon, you can get on the Alumilite web site and call Mike directly to get his help. He is really great about helping.

Personally, I found that a few bottles of another brand had too small a hole and I needed to run a hot needle through the opening. I don't use Fluorescent dies, so I can't help beyond that. Sorry.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 pm

The Flo dyes we sell are probably more technically defined as a pigment as they have physical particles in them that help brighten the color and would add opacity to a clear part. They are definitely not as potent as the regular colored dyes because of the particles in the Flo colors which also aid in them being so much brighter.

My recommendation ... first, cut the tip of the dye bottle if you haven't already. If you have, hold the bottle with one hand and using a paper towel push the tip sideways and the entire tip will pop off (in the paper towel). Then you can use a popsicle stick or whatever you need to get more dye out or perhaps mix the Flo dye up if the particles have settled out. Then simply try to add more to your resin and achieve the color you are looking for.

Please let us know your results.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby pat28 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 am

I did hear out there that Alumilite had great service, and here is the confirmation of what I heard. Thanks a million Mike. I will definitely give it a try as soon as I start pouring again, which should be very shortly. I guess one gets addicted to the fumes... :-)

Sincerely,

Patrick
pat28

Return to Lure Making