Air brush

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Air brush

Postby coachk88 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am

Hi I just bought a air brush to paint baits and crank baits. What pressure do you paint at to get a consistent spray?

Thanks
coachk88

Re: Air brush

Postby rocko » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Coach,
The simple answer is it depends on the paint thickness, and needle size. Thicker paints need higher pressures, especially with thinner needles. You will just have to do a quick experiment on a piece of white paper before hitting your lure. Typical pressures range from 20 to 40 psi. Paints with a bit of glitter may need higher pressure, also.

Rocko
rocko

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 am

Ditto answer above. I got the Talon that comes with three different needles and I find that the middle size is the most often used, but .........

If I use ink, I go to the smaller needle. If I shoot ones with glitter, I go with the large needle. You probably will find that white will require more thinning then black, most of the other colors will require different levels of thinning. Stick with a paint of ink made for air brushes until you are an expert at taking the air brush apart to remove stuck paint that was not ground fine enough........ most paints sold are not fine ground.

I have ended up using my airbrush to put a base coat on my lures, then I use the decal transfer sheets that Larry showed us on one of his Hunt for Big Fish shows, then I use the air brush to hit the top of the lure with a darker color and perhaps shoot a glitter over the transfer. In short, I have a LOT of paint colors I never use now.

I prefer the Alumidust for my soft plastics.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Alumidust Is Awsome,I Use It For My Soft :r :roll: :P oll :roll: : Plastics And Hard Lures.
bassfighter1

Return to Lure Making