Questions for the Master Lure Maker?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Questions for the Master Lure Maker?

Postby Joseph7 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Hey Mr. Dahlberg,

Just a repost here for the whole forum.
1. What and how did you become a Master lure maker?
2. What was your first break into the lure business?
3. What advice would you give to someone that wants to be a Lure Master like you?
Tips of do's and don'ts in the business!

Thanks again for the awesome advice and videos Larry!
Signed, Affliction Lures!
Joseph7

Re: Questions for the Master Lure Maker?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 am

Just a repost here for the whole forum.
1. What and how did you become a Master lure maker?--I'm not sure what a Master lure maker is, but would assume the fish is the only judge of that! I have never made a lure with the intention of it someday being "for sale". All of my flies and lures have evolved as a result of trying to improve my own odds of catching a fish!
2. What was your first break into the lure business?- I had some designs and protos sitting in a drawer for 30 years which I broke out when I turned sixty and partnered with the guys at river2sea to develop for mass production.
3. What advice would you give to someone that wants to be a Lure Master like you? I would suggest changing the goal from wanting to be a lure maker to attempting to build a better mouse trap and letting the fish be the judge of that!

Tips of do's and don'ts in the business! If you decide to begin a part-time gig making lures for commercial sales, be sure to get educated in terms of the federal excise tax provisions, and when figuring out your price structure leave room so there is margin for the other links in your distribution channel.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making