New to lure making

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

New to lure making

Postby kirkster123 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 am

I just started making soft lures and made my own jig trailers for bass. It is a simple craw style but I am encountering a problem after it is poured. The color of the soft plastic in the mold comes out dull in color while the color on the outside of the plastic is extremely glossy and nice looking. Reason this is happening???
kirkster123

Re: New to lure making

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Most likely cause, if I understand your question correctly, is that the surface of the mold is not totally smooth. The reason for that is that the original master was not smooth. To get a super slick, smooth finish on your master you can use a thin coat of epoxy, lacquer or similar.
Another option is to dip your "semi-gloss" part in hot, thin clear Alumisol which will create a slick surface.
Good question.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:26 pm

The other thing you can do is hit the dull part of the cast lures with a heat gun or torch ... the same as locking in Alumidust that has been painted on the surface of the lure after casting it. This remelts the surface and turns it glossy which would match the Alumisol that cooled exposed to the air.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am

The tips Larry and Mike provided are probably the best solutions for what you described outside of making a perfect master and remolding. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Can you maybe post a picture on photobucket or another image hosting site and let us see it?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making