Alumidust

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumidust

Postby bmm102883 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 pm

I was wondering about the use of a heat gun with alumi dust. I have seen Larry use it. I just tried to do that process and ended up distorting my plastic bait. Obviously it was too high of heat. I guess my question is what temp is best for melting the alumidust but not the alumisol. Thanks
bmm102883

Re: Alumidust

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 pm

It's a matter of distance plus moving it. you just want to melt the surface. in good light you can see it go to a gloss from a matte. if your lure is super small, it's not easy, but can be done if you're careful. You might want to consider dipping it in clear if possible after dusting. (Plus it's what give by far the coolest looking finishes)
let us know if it works out, and send a pic to makelure, or post here.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Alumidust

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Just to clarify, the Alumidust doesn't melt ... the skin of your lure actually does and the trick is to just melt the very outside skin of the lure/Alumisol enough were it will fuse and accept the Alumidust. This is how the Alumidust gets locked into or fused into the lure. As Larry mentioned, thin or small lures are difficult because its tough not to melt more than the skin whereas bigger lures its much easier to just melt the skin as it takes much longer for the rest of the lure to heat up/melt.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making